busy-bee.net buzz buzz buzz goes the honeybee home | blog | links | about me

linux to an imac
















uid 501 does not exist in the passwd file!
host change .. dead permalinks
the real post-Jag emacs
.. and back to FreeBSD







2002-10-30 21:11 / uid 501 does not exist in the passwd file!   »

And exim couldn't find root. I was adding host aliases to NetInfo:

sudo nicl . -create /machines/marnie
sudo nicl . -create /machines/marnie ip_address

But failed to reboot NetInfo properly - (not that I needed to even try I think). I should have done SystemStarter restart NetInfo, not /System/Library/StartupItems/NetInfo/NetInfo stop|start, which broke anything needing the internet pretty badly, to the point where I rebooted rather than wait for Terminal to start responding again.

Some more examples of nfs setup and nicl(1) use at www.withay.com

2002-10-24 20:02 / host change .. dead permalinks  »

The site's moved to a new server and I've written a little engine to finally get away from hand-editing one enormous html file. Downloads will be quicker and Google should pick up individual entries now.

'Written a little engine' isn't quite correct: In fact I've implemented an installation of AxKit, a mod_perl XML translation engine. So all the entries are sitting here as xml, there's a PerlTransHandler and an AxKit provider doing the work for Apache, and three or four xsl stylesheets guide the translation. The provider code is ugly though, with quite a few directory parses per request, and no cache as of yet.

Also, ah-hum, my old permalinks weren't permanent at all. Foolish me assuming that uri 'fragments' get passed to the server. There's not much I can do about it. The old links were /blog/index.html#YYYYMMDDhhmm, the new ones /blog/YYYY/MM/DD/hhmm.html. Miles nicer.

I suppose I'll have to implement a 'view all entries' page and redirect the old index.html to there.

2002-10-12 19:48 / the real post-Jag emacs  »

Sorry to be confusing: I was narcissistically doing a Google for my own name, and found Ovidiu Predescu's weblog, pointing out that the porkrind emacs isn't the best around. In fact - yippee - I did mention it before but it wasn't clear - the cvs repository for GNU Emacs now contains code that builds a lovely carbon port. Instructions here. Once I made installed, I had to do a cp -R ./mac/Emacs.app /Applications to get it bootable from the Finder.

And just to plug it again, color themes are a much lovelier way than the default for changing fore- and background colours.

2002-10-10 21:11 / .. and back to FreeBSD  »

Silence from me then, for almost a month. I've been busy setting up a new leased server - no, not an Xserve, I no longer have money to burn ;-), but instead an Athlon 1.1Ghz with FreeBSD. Old cpu, but desperately cheap and more than suitable for my purposes of multi-vhosts and multi-domain imap mail. It's the first root access I've had at the end of some decent bandwidth, and it's bloody hard work getting things right.

Unfortunately it keeps crashing when I try to rebuild the kernel. Crashing with random spontaneous reboots, random segfaults from gcc and make, and random spurious characters appearing in source code. Overheating is the consensus of some sysadmin friends, or possibly bad memory.

Finally today, after perhaps 30 attempts, I managed to build the latest stable dist, through use of the gross but ingenious hack of moving /usr/bin/cc to realcc, then creating a new cc:


sleep 2

... thereby letting the cpu cool down after every compile. Ugh ugh ugh.

(I also now have the geek joy of getting my little home FreeBSD natd, named and apache running router down to a measly 18 processes under top. Less than 7MB of memory used on reboot :-) )

  mod_perl -- Speed, Power, Scalability